- Soun- battleground between the two rival countries. Essentially the centre of civilization in the mountain area to the West of Kounan. Governed to some degree by Ougi, Hotohori's half brother, who is in control of the western provinces under the Emperor. Also a common haunt of Tasuki and Kouji and the Mt. Reikaku bandits. Tasuki's village is near here.
- Souun: Western Capital of Kounan - situated between the two bandit mountains of Reikaku-zan and Kaou-zan and consequently the
- Eiyou: The actual capital of Kounan, where the palace is situated. Nuriko is also from this city, and his parents run a successful fabric store in the textile quarter.
- Jouzen: Chiriko's home city, in the southern region of Kounan.
- Souen - The town near the hillside where Mitsukake and Shouka are buried. This city is not to be confused with Souun, Souen is in the northern region of Kounan.
- Choko : The infamous city of the living dead, where the possessed Shouka plied her demon-induced trade. At one point, Mitsukake
worked as doctor in this city.
- Touran: The capital city of Hokkan, in the North. This is where Miaka and Nuriko first meet Ashitare, and where Tamahome discovers
the location of Genbu's Shinzahou.
- Reikaku: The mountain where Tasuki, Kouji and the Mt.Reikaku bandits live and rule. A spiritual place where a demon was once sealed, it's said to be
able to see the good and evil in people as they cross the slopes.
- Kaou: The nearby mountain to Mt. Reikaku , where rival bandits live. Ruled at one point by the perverted Kieron and then used by Tenkou
in his schemes, there is often conflict between the Kaou and Reikaku bandits, although the Kaou lot are greater rogues.
- Koku: The infamous black mountain in Hokkan where Nuriko fought Ashitare and died. Also the hiding place of Genbu's Shinzahou,
guarded by the spirits of Hikitsu and Tomite until Miaka came to retrieve it.
- Taikyoku - This is were Taiitsukun lives. According to her, those with evil hearts will see nothing more than rocky cliffs.
- Yukigase: A northern village where Nuriko once stayed and helped defeat a local legendary demon - the demon of the snows near the Hokkan
border and often has cold weather.
- Seisen: Although not actually in Kounan, Seisen's loyalties are with the southern land because of their connection to Chichiri and upon
the collapse of Kutou's empire, they seek to break away. Chichiri's life was once saved here from drowning by a young girl and her father - and subsequently Chichiri saved the girl and her fiancee from the flooding Shouryuu river that originally wiped out his own village.
- Hakukou: Tamahome's small and impoverished farming village, as witnessed in the anime, is apparently named in Tamahome's Gaiden
as Hakukou-mura, situated near the mountains and in the Kusou prefecture, near Kutou's border.
- Makan : Makan is the village where Amiboshiends up after he was swept away down the river. It's location is debatable - the original manga,
Amiboshi describes it as "Makan village, near to the Sairou border", maybe just inside Hokkan.
In the anime, however, Amiboshi refers to it as "Sairou's Makan village". Equally, Makan is mentioneyd ambiguously in Chiriko's gaiden but the forgetfulness potion plants are mentioned as growing inside of Sairou's borders.
Shouryuu: The river of the Rising Dragon that flooded Chichiri and Mitsukake's homes and killed their families and friends, including Chichiri's fiancee and friend and Mitsukake's father. Also the river Nakago tries to flood to destroy Seisen and use as a weapon against Kutou. Hijiri: The river from which Chichiri is actually rescued by the people of Seisen