The Priestess (Miko, 巫女) is the "girl" who came from another world to summon a beast god in an assigned kingdom. Only virgin maidens can fulfil the role of a priestess. By gathering all of her celestial warriors, she is able to to summon her corresponding beast god and is rewarded the ability to grant three wishes after completing the summoning ceremony.
Ultimately the priestess is a sacrifice to the beast god after she has coupled with him. Only those with a strong enough will survive the ordeal, if not, they are devoured by the god. Once all the wishes have been granted and the god summoned, if the priestess survives she must return to her own world, as her mission is over and she cannot remain in the book.
These are the known special abilities displayed by the priestesses throughout their adventures:
- Communication with those outside of the book: While this ability is not exclusive to the priestess in dire situations, it is mainly the priestess who is able to hear what ever is going on outside of the book. As long as she and the reader of the book share a sort of item, she can hear whatever it is the reader is saying.
- Color Glow/Light : The priestess has the ability to give off a kind of glow during times of danger or great stress. This glow not only confirms that she is the priestess, but also allows her to travel out of the book if she has not remained inside of it for too long.And their light also based from what beast god they are summoning.
- Red Light - Priestess of Suzaku (Suzaku no Miko)
- Blue Light - Priestess of Seiryuu (Seiryuu no Miko)
- Silver Light (manga) - Priestess of Genbu (Genbu no Miko)
- Green Light (FY OVA 1 & FY OVA 2 intro) - Priestess of Genbu (Genbu no Miko)
- ? Light - Priestess of Byakko (Byakko no Miko)
Summoning the Gods: The priestess is bestowed the gift of being able to summon one of the beast gods (Suzaku, Seiryuu, Genbu, Byakko). Once the summoning ceremony is complete, she is able to grant three wishes.