- "Though we had to part, though we could never be together again. We had no regrets. Even if she returned to her world, married another man and had children with her. If the woman I loved was happy, then I could be happy. And I am. Our hearts had joined and so, even if she lived in a different world, that time, we really were together always, always. I would never let go of this feeling, or my love for her."
- —Tatara to Miaka
He appears to be beautiful and during Miaka's time at the Byakko tower, he protects Miaka. Tatara speaks only averagely. Tatara appears to be 20 years old, but because of the spell Subaru casted, he is 110 years old inside. He still remains faithful to Suzuno, and becuase of this, he guards Sairou's Shinzaho in the Byakko tower since Suzuno left The Universe of the Four gods. When Tatara is removed from the Byakko tower, he rapidly ages.
He first appears when Soi and Nakago are seeking and finding Sairou's Shinzaho in order to summon Seiryuu. Though he was tortured, he still refuses. He still remains faithful to Suzuno, and is only devoted to her. Miaka and Tatara meet when Miboshi casted a spell that drained Miaka's speech and when Nakago took her to the dungeon where Tatara was. When Miaka wakes up, Tatara realizes that her speech was drained. The two of them then manages to escape. On the way, they meet Yui, completely firendly and as if she considers Miaka as her friend again. Miaka then starts to use signs to speak, saying "we still cannot summon Suzaku becuase Nakago has the Shinzaho". Yet Tatara does not understand, Yui walks off and gets the Shinzaho from Nakago. Miaka said that she was thirsty, so Yui heads off to get a drink, but accidentally spills it. She then says she would get another one, but she must be given the Shinzaho. Completely fallen into the trap, Miaka gives the Shinzaho to Yui, but Yui locks the door and said that Miaka was a fool to give it and runs away.Tatara then says that he will never allow them to get his beloved Suzuno's Shinzaho, and Miaka asks who Suzuno was, and Tatara replies that Suzuno is the name of the only woman he had ever loved.
They then manage to escape thanks to Tatara's plant power, and on the way they meet the other Suzaku warriors and Subaru and Tokaki, and were engaged in a battle with Miboshi. Though Chiriko died to defeat him, Tatara is seriously wounded despite the efforts Subaru and Tokaki made to save him. In the real world, Suzuno also dies the exact moment Tatara passed away, and they are reunited for eternity.
Tatara can control plants as a Byakko Celestial Warrior despite the shape they take in. His base attacks are weak and slow, but even on a very unstable state he manages to knock out Miboshi.
- Seed (Shushi)
- Don't worry. I would never let those people get my beloved Suzuno's Shinzaho.
- Priestess of Suzaku, are you awake?
- Suzuno is the name of the only woman I have ever loved.
- Do you even know why I agreed to give it? Because I had sensed that the both of you were not completely enemies. You can still reform your relationship. So give me back the Shinzaho.